I had a handful of reasons for wanting to do it which I felt would have benefited the people at one point or another, and so I suppose I need to reiterate over them.
1. Better database format. The current format is the work of someone who really didn't know how to implement a proper database system,
it is just a giant ASCII dump that nobody really knows the format of anyway as I had to spend a decent bit of time myself reverse engineering it from the base databases to even begin working on the converter I was going to use to bring Faibanx up to date.
2. Better scripting, since it was written in Python and so would the commands, it would be significantly easier to write stuff for the MUCK that's easier to use (and less broken, see: Inrooms) and to make more advanced commands as it's easier to interact with the database and it's actually possible to bring in third party code to do quite literally anything. Some people didn't quite see the benefit of this, I see it as something to improve so that people would actually -like- to code things for the MUCK.
3. People apparently objected to the improved commands mentioned in #2 so I decided I should go along with it and also write a Fuzzball reimplementation so that you had commands that operated in the same way as the old MUCK.
I was completely willing to accommodate at every single turn, I had actually bothered to write the software and I was going to let it have a test drive before completely replacing the old MUCK to have a chance to iron out any last minute kinks but apparently this isn't possible.
I don't care that it was a niche thing to do, it was decent programming practice for me in the end either way. It taught me how to use GIT properly as this is project was the first major codebase I had used GIT for. Furthermore, I developed a decent versioning paradigm from it as my old versioning scheme for ScalyMUCK was completely out of control. It has even taught me some basics of persistent storage across a network as I had to eventually work out a failsafe in the event the connection was closed or the database server became unreachable. The project also taught me that I should think ahead when developing software, as the original codebase that took about two days to actually complete (ask Dinosorceror) was an absolute mess and from then on the core received two more major enhancements that probably should have been in there from the start.
I was just trying to do something nice with my educational drive, but apparently that's a bad thing to do.
So it was part fun and productive learning experience for you, part pet project, part a desire to do something positive to modernise Faibanx for the benefit of all. As with any modernisation project there are always naysayers, people who say "it's not broke, don't fix it". Never the less, the world moves on despite the objectors, otherwise we'd all still be living in caves.